Headshot Tips For Professionals
As a professional, you know how important it is to make a good first impression. Clients searching for professionals in different fields have reported making decisions based on the visual impression made by profile images. You want to be sure to look your best and to have a professional, impactful, engaging business portrait that relays a strong message.
Achieving your best professional headshot is a team effort made between you and your photographer. Here are six headshot tips for professionals on what you can do to make sure to play your part to get the best results for your professional headshots.
1. Get Your R&R – Getting plenty of rest the night before and avoiding alcohol and junk food all play a role in how you look and feel. Feeling your best is essential to looking your best.
2. Avoid Day-of Hair Cuts – Avoid hair cuts the day of your session. (This is especially recommended for guys and short hair styles.) Allowing a few days between your cut and your session results in a more natural look. However, ladies might opt to have their hair professionally styled day-of.
3. Choose Complimentary Color – If you want to play it safe, most people look great in dark colors (blue/grey/black) or neutral mid-tones. Consider a color that highlights the color of your eyes. Avoid solid white, although white layered beneath another color, such as a white shirt beneath a dark blazer looks great.
4. Avoid Trendy Patterns – Avoid busy patterns which distract from your face (checker, busy stripes, zigzags), and trendy patterns which may go out of style (chevron, animal print). (unless you plan to update your headshot every year or so.)
5. Bring the Focus to Your Face – Consider a v-neck or button up shirt which brings the viewer’s eye up. Keep accessories simple, including necklaces, scarves and neckties, in order to keep the focus on your face.
6. Schedule Your Session During Your Best Hours – Schedule your session during the time of day that you feel your freshest and best.
And for more in-depth tips on what to wear, visit our What to Wear | Professional Tips page.
For tips on prepping for your session, check out our Headshot Tips Clothing + Prep for Your Session page.
If you’re in the Portland, Oregon area and are ready to revive your professional business portrait, give us a call at 971.344.1073 -or- email us at Hello@SashPhotography.com.
We’re here to help you through every step of the way.